Back in May 2010 I posted a diagram that I had created that showed what I considered to be the 5 stages of Workplace Learning. My ITA colleague, Jay Cross, re-worked it so that I looked like this.
Back in May 2010 I also wrote: “In my opinion most organisations are in Stage 3, but as the L&D conversation circles around the concepts of social and informal learning, I’m getting the impression that many are drifting into, what I would consider an interim stage, 4 ; which is simply adding-on social (and even informal) functionality to the traditional model of learning. One reason for this, is because this is where a lot of vendors are targeting their new products.”
Today, in December 2011 it is clear that although many organisations have now moved into Stage 4, some have also taken the leap into Stage 5.
So what does it take to move to Stage 5? Well, as I said in May 2010, it’s not about new tools but a new mindset. Some of the key mindset changes that will move organisations into Stage 5 include the recognition that:
- working=learning; learning=working
- informal learning needs to be enabled, supported and encouraged – not designed or managed
- autonomous, independent and inter-dependent, self-directed learners are essential in an agile organisation
Those organizations already operating in Stage 5 clearly understand that although formal training will continue to have a part to play in workplace learning, it is even more important in today’s workplace to support continuous learning and performance improvement – in non-training ways.
If you are looking to move your organisation into Stage 5, but are struggling to understand HOW to do this, you might be interested in a C4LPT sub-site which I am continuously updating with resources: The Non-Training Approach to Workplace Learning
Latest posts by Jane Hart (see all)
- Why is Twitter no longer No 1 on the Top Tools for Learning list? - 18 October 2016
- The Top 200 Tools for Learning 2016 is announced - 3 October 2016
- Jane’s Top 10 Tools for Learning 2016 - 18 September 2016